Sunday, May 4, 2014

Vegan Pancakes

My nephew loves me. I mean, he loves me. And I love that he loves me because I love him. And I love spending time with him. So, when he sleeps over (and I try to think it's because of me and not the pool or grandma and grandpa) I spoil him. Like today.

He is the cutest, coolest four-year old I have ever met. We sit around watching Scooby-Doo, and Goosebumps, and we love it.

Today he woke me up and demanded pancakes. Pancakes? But I'm trying to be vegan...

Not to worry! I remember reading a while ago (on Pinterest) that banana replaces eggs in baking. Why not, I thought. I have plenty of bananas. And soy milk to replace milk.

So I got started.

Here are the ingredients:







1/2 Banana (ripened)

1 cup Pancake Mix (I used Aunt Jemima)

1 cup Soy Milk (I used Silk Soy Milk)






The recipe on the back of the box calls for oil, but I didn't use it and they came out perfectly fine. I used Aunt Jemima because that's all I had, but the back of the box says the mix is made in a factory that also makes dairy, so next time I make this, I will shop around for a better mix (or even brave a homemade one).

The first time  I made this, I used a whole ripened banana and they were too fluffy (if you can believe that), so the second batch of the day came out perfect. Also, the recipe calls for 1/3 cup of milk, but as I was mixing it, the batter was too dry. I added more milk and the consistency improved.

Directions:

Mash half of the banana. I used a fork and it worked fine.


Mix all the ingredients and whisk together until smooth, about 8-10 stirs. At this point, my nephew insisted in tasting the batter. I had no problem letting him taste it as it has no egg, just banana :) He approved.


I used organic extra virgin coconut oil instead of butter to line the griddle. Also, I forgot to say I heated the griddle at medium/medium high heat before I mixed the batter. I use a griddle with a dial and I set it to 350ºf. Pour 3/4 cup for medium sized pancakes. Cook until edges look dry and batter looks bubbly, then flip.


I messed up the first one I flipped, but the rest looked beautiful. 


The result is a super fluffy, and crispy, delicious pancake. 

I used the extra banana to top my pancakes and drizzled raw, unfiltered honey for that sweet, fruity taste. 






It was a success! We so enjoyed this recipe, and I have a base to go off from now, so next time I'm sure they will be even better. 

Happy eating!

***The recipe says a cup of pancake mix will make 12 pancakes, but I only got about 6 medium sized pancakes. I had to make a second batch, so double the recipe for more delicious pancakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment