Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Delicious Vegan French Toast

Delicious (and easy) Vegan French Toast

I'm in a breakfast mood. The kind of mood that makes you order pancakes for dinner, and chocolate for dessert. The kind of mood you can't get out of until you're sure you have acquired at least seven cavities. The kind of mood that makes you fun. The best kind of mood. Like being a kid again. That's the mood I'm in. And it's the best kind of mood to be in.

Since conquering the astoundingly easy and scrumptious Vegan Pancakes, I have developed an insatiable appetite for vegan breakfast. One such craving being really good (and good for you––no cavities here, folks), smushy, squishy, crunchy, sweet, and full of flavor Vegan French Toast.




The trick to this wonderful breakfast is the bread. I chose a nice artisan rustic bread perfect for dipping into thick batter, and freshly baked at my local farmers market. Make sure you read the ingredient list before you make a choice in bread. I chose a Cranberry, Raisin, and Walnut diary-free, and egg-free vegan bread. Did I miss the diary? No. Did I miss the egg? No. It's delicious, crunchy where it's supposed to be crunchy, and soft where it's supposed to be soft. 

The batter cannot be any easier to make. I simply mixed half a ripened banana (no yellows here), soy milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg and went to work. Easy as pie. 

Ingredients:

Vegan Bread (I used Rustic Artisan Bread)

1/2 Ripened Banana

1 Cup of Soy Milk or Milk of Choice (I used Silk Soy Milk)

1/4 Tsp Vanilla Extract

1/4 Tsp Cinnamon

a dash of Nutmeg

Agave Syrup, Organic as desired

Directions:

Heat griddle at a medium heat. I use an electric griddle and set it to 350ºF.

Mash banana with fork. Add milk and whisk. Add Cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and whisk. Done! Told you it was easy! Let sit while you cut the bread (like I did), or let sit for 5-10 minutes to let the batter meet and greet and get nice and thick. 





I didn't add any sugar because the banana already has enough sugar, so it's really two-in-one. Replaces egg, and sugar. 

Once you have your nice slices of bread, dip in batter for about 3 seconds each side and place in well oiled griddle. I used Coconut oil, but you can use vegan butter or an oil of your choice. Make sure your griddle is well oiled. Let cook for 2-3 minutes each side and voilà! Delicious and delightfully easy Vegan French Toast. Add agave syrup as desired.




My family enjoyed this breakfast so much, and we didn't even have it for breakfast. We had it for dinner. It was a great success. 

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment